I am a BACP registered psychodynamic counsellor and supervisor (any modality) working in Dumfries, SW Scotland. Sessions are offered face to face, by telephone or online.
My aim as a therapist is to provide a confidential service for adults and young people (16+) which embraces ‘diversity, equality and inclusivity’ (BACP).
As a member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP), I adhere to the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions and am accountable to the BACP Professional Conduct Procedure.
My commitment to regular clinical supervision and Continued Professional Development is ongoing and I hold full Disclosure Scotland. I am also a member of the Scottish Association of Psychodynamic Counselling (SAPC), EAGALA Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, Human Development Scotland (HDS) and Scottish Association for the Study of Offending (SASO).
There are many different reasons why people choose to see a therapist, you don’t necessarily need to be ‘ill’ to come to counselling.
It may be that you feel you just need some time to talk through recent challenges in your life. On the other hand, there may be specific issues or symptoms that you are experiencing (with or without a diagnosis of mental ill health), that you feel you would like to begin to work through with a trained counsellor.
My aim is to listen carefully to what you have to say and to support you to discover your own solutions (see psychodynamic therapy). It is not my role to give advice. Some of the issues I have experience of working with are as follows:
- childhood trauma, emotional/physical/sexual abuse
- anxiety, depression, low self esteem
- anger issues, self harm
- post traumatic stress (PTSD)
- perinatal issues, pregnancy anxiety, birth trauma/PTSD, postnatal depression
- loss, bereavement
- relationship issues (individuals only)
- work or study-related stress
- Employee Assistance Programmes
All enquiries are very welcome. See here for booking information, fees, location and availability.
In addition to my independent practice, I work for a public sector charity providing counselling for survivors of childhood trauma in prison. I am also a tutor on the Human Relations & Counselling postgraduate diploma at Human Development Scotland, Glasgow.
As an EAGALA certified mental health professional in Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, I am available to offer sessions with my colleague Sue Pike, who is an experienced EAGALA certified equine specialist. We can work with you on an individual basis or in groups, the fees are £75-£100 per hour. Click on the link above for further information or contact me directly to make a booking.
Having completed Part 1 study in the COSCA Certificate in Counselling Supervision, I am now working through the Part 2 practical component. As such, I am available to offer supervision sessions at a reduced rate of £25 per hour. Please contact me directly for further information or to make a booking.
- COSCA Certificate in Counselling Supervision Part 1, 2017
- EAGALA certification in Equine Assisted Psychotherapy Parts 1 & 2, 2016
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling & Therapeutic Care, Human Development Scotland / Glasgow Caledonian University 2013
- Birth/Postnatal Doula, Doula UK 2004
- Diploma of Education in Midwifery, Lothian College of Health Studies 1995
- General Arts MA, University of Edinburgh 1983
- EAGALA Network Meeting, Denton Hall Farmhouse, Brampton 2017
- The Impact of Trauma on Children, Practitioners and Services, HDScotland 2017
- Self Harm & Attachment, Maria Naranjo, SAPC 2016
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, Inside a Session: Create, Alexandra Graves, Keemar Keemar, Jonathon Browne & John Wilson 2016
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, Inside a Session: Movement, Alexandra Graves, Keemar Keemar, Jonathon Browne & John Wilson 2016
- The EAGALA Model, Live Demonstration: Horses Helping People, onlinevents 2016
- Working with Violence in Psychotherapy, Dr Eoin Galavan 2016
- Contact after Contact: the Treatment of Combat Related PTSD, David Harford 2016
- Trauma – the Challenge of our Age? BACP Private Practice Conference 2015
- Soldier = PTSD? Margaret Chapman 2015
- Self-care in the Face of Trauma, Michael Gavin 2015
- Reforming Narratives: Is there Life after Punishment? Prof Fergus McNeill 2014
- Young People in Conflict with the Law in Scotland, Prof Bill Whyte 2014
- Core Emotions in Recovery from Traumatic Experience, Dr Frank Corrigan & Lisa Schwarz, Wellspring 2014
- Transgenerational Trauma, Judith Fewell, SAPC 2014
- Communication-what is it?, Sheila Wandrum, SAPC 2014
- Online Counselling, OCTIA 2013, 2015, 2016
- Healing Trauma the Equine Way, Changeways 2014
- Birth Process (Castellino Model), Early Imprints 2008, 2009, 2011, 2015
- Gentle Birth Companions: a handbook for doulas and parents (Rev Ed) Wysewomen Publishing, 2014
- Birth Space Safe Place: emotional wellbeing in pregnancy & birth Findhorn Press 2009
- Birth Trauma – the psychodynamics of ruptured relationship
- Articles here and here