I am a COSCA Accredited Counsellor, BACP registered psychodynamic therapist and COSCA certified clinical supervisor based in Glasgow city centre.
I offer face to face, online and phone counselling for individual adults aged 18+ and Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP). Clinical supervision is also offered (see Supervision below).
My experience includes working in both private and public sectors, in the criminal justice system, NHS and third sector organisations with survivors of torture and childhood trauma. I have skills in working therapeutically with the asylum seeker/refugee community, supported by professional interpreting services.
As a COSCA Accredited Counsellor, I am accountable to the COSCA Statement of Ethics & Code of Practice and Complaints Procedure. As a registered member of BACP, I adhere to the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions and am accountable to the BACP Professional Conduct Procedure.
My commitment to regular clinical supervision and Continued Professional Development is ongoing and I hold full Disclosure Scotland.
There are many different reasons why people may choose to see a therapist.
Perhaps you feel you need some time to talk through recent challenges in your life. Or there may be specific issues or symptoms that you are experiencing (with or without a diagnosis of mental ill health), that you feel you would like to begin to explore and work through.
My aim is to listen carefully to what you have to say and to support you to discover your own solutions (see What is therapy?). I am happy to work with you in the short or longer term, depending on your needs and requirements, with regular reviews.
Some of the areas I have experience of working with include:
- trauma & complex trauma
- post traumatic stress (PTSD)
- childhood trauma & abuse
- anxiety, depression, low self esteem
- anger issues, self harm
- birth trauma, postnatal depression, early parenting issues
- loss, bereavement
- relationship issues
- work or study-related stress
- individuals suffering distress as a result of torture, the criminal justice process, war
- individuals who are Asylum Seekers or Refugees (with interpreters)
SUPERVISION – Individual & Group
Clinical supervision is offered for qualified practising psychodynamic or integrative therapists, face to face in Glasgow, online or by phone. My approach is always underpinned by psychodynamic thinking.
An initial no obligation meeting is offered free of charge. Thereafter fees are £55 per 50/60 mins individual monthly, £50 per 50/60 mins individual fortnightly, £82 per 1.5 hours individual monthly, £40 per 60 mins group (3-6 participants) monthly. You are welcome to contact me directly for further information.
Supportive supervision is also offered for support workers in third sector agencies, who deliver services for traumatised clients. This may be on an individual or group basis. Fees are £55 per 50/60 mins (individual) or £110 per 60 mins (group up to 12). Agency managers are welcome to contact me directly for further information.
As an EAGALA trained mental health professional in Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, I can work with clients on an individual basis or in groups. I am available to work on an ad hoc basis with equine specialists requiring an MH partner.
- COSCA Counsellor Accreditation 2020
- COSCA Certificate in Counselling Supervision 2018
- EAGALA certification in Equine Assisted Psychotherapy Parts 1 & 2, 2016
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling & Therapeutic Care, Human Development Scotland / Glasgow Caledonian University 2013
- Birth/Postnatal Doula, Doula UK 2004
- Diploma of Education in Midwifery, Lothian College of Health Studies 1995
- General Arts MA, University of Edinburgh 1983
- Multidisciplinary Complex Trauma Conference, Complex Trauma Network 2022
- Let’s Talk about Race, Human Development Scotland 2021
- Suicide & Self Harm, BACP 2020
- Healing Trauma, Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute, 2020
- Multidisciplinary Complex Trauma Conference, CTN 2020
- Working Effectively & Securely Online: e-therapy via ZOOM, CTN 2020
- Psychodynamic Ethos & Team Building, HDS 2020
- Safeguarding, Freedom from Torture 2019; Asylum Process & The Law, FfT 2019; Risk Management, FfT 2019; Working with Interpreters in a Therapeutic Setting, FfT 2019
- Sameness & Difference: ‘Whiteness’ and Therapy Teaching, HDS 2019
- Working with Nightmares & Dreams, CTN 2018
- Loss, BACP Private Practice Conference 2018
- The Impact of Trauma on Children, Practitioners and Services, HDS Conference 2017
- Self Harm & Attachment, Maria Naranjo, SAPC 2016
- Working with Violence in Psychotherapy, Dr Eoin Galavan 2016
- Contact after Contact: the Treatment of Combat Related PTSD, David Harford 2016
- Trauma – the Challenge of our Age? BACP Private Practice Conference 2015
- Reforming Narratives: Is there Life after Punishment? Prof Fergus McNeill 2014; Young People in Conflict with the Law in Scotland, Prof Bill Whyte 2014
- Core Emotions in Recovery from Traumatic Experience, Corrigan & Schwarz, 2014
- Transgenerational Trauma, Judith Fewell, SAPC 2014
- Online Counselling, OCTIA 2013, 2015, 2016
- Healing Trauma the Equine Way, Changeways 2014
- Gentle Birth Companions: a handbook for doulas and parents (Rev Ed) Wysewomen Publishing, 2014
- Birth Space Safe Place: emotional wellbeing in pregnancy & birth Findhorn Press 2009
- Birth Trauma – the psychodynamics of ruptured relationship
- Articles here and here