I am a registered psychodynamic counsellor offering individual consultations in the Dumfries area, SW Scotland. I am happy to work face to face, by telephone or online.
My aim is to provide a confidential service for adults and young people (16+) which embraces ‘diversity, equality and inclusivity’ (BACP).
As a member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (MBACP) and Counselling in Scotland (CMCOSCA), I adhere to the ethical guidelines of these professional bodies.
I am also a member of the Scottish Association of Psychodynamic Counselling. My commitment to regular clinical supervision and Continued Professional Development is ongoing and I hold full Disclosure Scotland.
There are many different reasons why poeple choose to see a therapist, you don’t need to be ‘ill’ to come to counselling!
It may be that you just feel you need some time to talk through recent challenges in your life. On the other hand, there may be specific issues or symptoms that you are experiencing (whether with or without a diagnosis of mental ill health), that you feel you would like to begin to work through with a trained counsellor.
I am happy to work with you either way, on whatever issue you choose to bring. While not limited to the list below, some of the issues I have a particular interest in and experience of working with include:
- post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- combat-related stress
- pregnancy issues, birth trauma, postnatal depression
- loss, bereavement
- anxiety, depression, low self esteem
- anger issues, self harm
- relationship issues
- child sexual abuse (historic)
- ‘boarding school syndrome’
- violence-related stress, sexual violence
- work or study-related stress
- EAP (Employee Assistance Programmes)
All enquiries are very welcome. To find out more, see here for booking information, fees, location and availability.
In addition to my independent practice, I have two years experience of counselling at a centre for survivors of child sexual abuse and sexual violence. Recent CPD days include equine assisted therapy working with trauma and online counselling skills.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling & Therapeutic Care, Human Development Scotland/Glasgow Caledonian University 2013
- Diploma of Education in Midwifery, Lothian College of Health Studies 1995
- General Arts MA, University of Edinburgh 1983
My background experience is in adult education and maternity care, as a midwife and as a doula (birth companion), I am also a published writer.
- Gentle Birth Companions: a handbook for doulas and parents (Rev Ed) Wysewomen Publishing, 2014
- Birth Space Safe Place: emotional wellbeing in pregnancy & birth Findhorn Press 2009